This statement (“PICS”) provides you, as the data subject to whom the data user, Hugill & Ip, provides services, with notice as to why your personal data is collected, how it is intended to be used, to whom your personal data may be provided, and how to access, review and correct your personal data, in accordance with the requirements of the Hong Kong Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (“PDPO”).
It is important that you read this PICS, together with any other privacy notice we may provide on specific occasions when we are collecting or processing personal information about you, so that you are aware of how and why we are using such information.
Why we collect your personal data and how it may be used?
For clients and potential clients
It is necessary for you (as clients or potential clients) and/or your representatives (including, inter alia, directors, other officers, employees, staff members or agents of the clients) to supply Hugill & Ip with data about themselves and be used by Hugill & Ip in any of the following circumstances:
- to fulfil our legal, regulatory and risk management obligations, including establishing, exercising or defending legal claims;
- when it is necessary for our legitimate interests and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests;
- to manage and administer our relationship with you and/or your representatives;
- if you have already made the information public; or
- if you have given your consent.
The legitimate interests referred to in paragraph 1(2) above include using your information:
- for carrying out our business intake procedures;
- for designing and/or providing legal services or advice to you;
- for the functioning of our business and its operations.
Failure to supply such data may result in Hugill & Ip being unable to provide you with the legal services or advice as requested.
For job applicants
The personal data provided by you to us as applicant for any vacancies within Hugill & Ip are to be used to assess your suitability for the vacancy which you have applied for and, if you are selected, to determine the preliminary remuneration and benefits package to be offered to you, and other directly related matters in the recruitment process. You must ensure that all information provided to Hugill & Ip is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Personal data provided which is inaccurate or incomplete may influence the process and outcome of the recruitment.
It is voluntary for you to provide the personal data requested by us. However, failure to receive the personal data from you may result in Hugill & Ip being unable to process your application and consequently, may result in your application being rejected.
Who may be provided with your personal data?
Your personal data will be kept confidential, but may, where such disclosure is necessary to satisfy the purpose or a directly related purpose for which the personal data was collected, provide the personal data to the following parties:
- any other branch or associated firm or office of Hugill & Ip or third parties through which the business of Hugill & Ip is or will be carried out;
- a government agency, courts, tribunals, regulatory authorities and law enforcement agencies, as required and permitted by the applicable law and regulations;
- our professional advisors, auditors and information technology service providers;
- third parties to whom we outsource certain services, including, but not limited to, translation, printing, transcription, document review, parties involved in hosting or organising events, debt collection agencies; and
- third parties whom are engaged in connection to the services we provide to you, including, but not limited to, barristers, experts, investigation service providers.
Where you have expressly given us your consent, we may process your personal data also for the following promotional or marketing purposes: customer surveys, marketing campaigns, market analysis or other promotional activities or events.
With regard to newsletters, legal updates and other general communications, we will only provide you with such information if you have opted in. You have the opportunity to opt out of receiving such communications at any time. If you wish to withdraw your consent, please inform us by writing to the address in the section on “Access rights to personal data” or sending us an email. Any such request should clearly state details of the personal data in respect of which the request is being made.
Retention of your personal data
We will retain your personal data only for as long as is reasonably necessary in the circumstances. After that time, your data will be deleted.
Access rights to personal data
You are entitled, in accordance with the PDPO, to access and correct your personal data. Requests for access to or to correct personal data should be addressed to the Head of Finance & Operations or any of the partners at Hugill & Ip (full details can be found on the Contact section of our website).
Hugill & Ip has the right to charge costs which are directly related to and necessary for the processing of any personal data access request.
Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance
Changes to PICS
Hugill & Ip reserves the right to update this PICS at any time and will make available an updated PICS on our website or in writing so that you are always aware of what information we collect, how we use the information and under what circumstances the information is disclosed. Any such change, update or modification will be effective immediately upon posting.
If you have any questions about this PICS, please contact the Head of Finance & Operations or any of the partners at Hugill & Ip.